Monday, April 5, 2010

I wanna make a .....

I work with pre-schoolers for a couple of hours every afternoon. It's always a nice stress reliever after working with school age children all day.


We do alot of art projects because it is the end of the day and it is a nice way to wind the kids down. I've been helping these little pre-K preciouses create collages. They find pictures of toys they like to play with or toys they want, food they like to eat, pictures of animals, and pictures of clothes. After they find all the pictures, we paste them on construction picture. The children love making collages and especially love hanging them in the classroom for others to see.


On this particular day, I was helping a child make a collage. All the other children were playing in different centers. It was really quiet in the room, when suddenly a little girl runs over and says..."Hey! I wanna make a camoflague!"


I laughed so hard for a couple of minutes and then another child said, "Camoflague? That's what my dad wears to go hunting. Are you going hunting?...pause...You can make clothes?" Oh lord how I love the minds of little ones!

Suddenly all the children wanted to make their own clothing. Have you ever set a group of 4 and 5 year olds down and explained to them the difference between camoflague and collage? Yeah, it doesn't matter how you go about it, they still don't understand.

For now though, we still call our collage masterpieces...camoflagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment